Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Thyatira

I hope I am welcoming some new readers to In the Grip. As you know I have started team teaching the college Sunday School class at my church and have decided to use my blog as a discussion platform for our study of the book of Revelation. So I welcome your questions and comments.

Last Sunday we looked at the message to the church in Thyatira. That message begins like this. "The words of the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and whose feet are like burnished bronze." This picture of Christ has intrigued, startled, and comforted me this week. I think, based on the description, and the tone of the message to the church in Thyatira, that this vision of Christ is as the One who sees all with the penetrating eyes of justice and who has the strength to carry out that justice. I am reminded of a passage from the book of Hebrews that seems to draw attention to this quality of Christ's sight. It is Hebrews 4:13, "And no creature is hidden from his sight, all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."
The dark reality is that I do not live with this vision of Christ in my mind. I don't live like I am naked and exposed before Christ who is both loving savior and righteous judge. I make poor choices, speak idol or hurtful words, have impure thoughts, behave selfishly, and, well you get the picture. And this is what has startled me about the Christ of Revelation. But then there is also this message to the church in Thyatira, "But to the rest of you in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not learned what some call the deep things of Satan, to you I say I do not lay on you any other burden. Only hold fast what you have until I come." I find this very comforting. To those who are under attack, but have not given in, Christ says I put no more burden on you , just hang on till I come. I want to be one to whom Christ says, "hang on till I come." Come quickly Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me as though often times so much of life is spent forgetting what Christ is to us. Forgetting the power that He has and the grace that is his. Especially forgetting that He has promised to come again. Good thoughts? Now how many movies have you seen in the past seven days at the movie theater, by my count, it seems like 6.