Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Apocalypse

I am excited that I get to teach college students this Sunday. The college Sunday School teacher at my Church asked me to team teach the college class with him so this Sunday I get to teach. We are going to teach through the book of Revelation. So I get to kick of the study this week. So here are some thoughts of mine on parts of Revelation chapter 1.

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. Revelation 1:3

There is a blessing for those who hear and keep what is written in this revelation of Jesus Christ. I think the focus needs to be on "keeping" this word. The word "keep" implies obedience. I think all too often the approach to the book of Revelation is not obey, but figure out the hidden meaning or figure out the date of Christ's return. I wonder how our approach to a study of Revelation might change if we simply focused on obeying the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, Revelation 1:5

What does it mean for Jesus to be the ruler of the kings of the earth? It means that Jesus reigns and rules over all. He and He alone decides who becomes king. Christ determines what the kings of the earth do. Jesus orders the world for the good of God's purpose for and through His Church.

So, just a couple of thoughts from Revelation 1

3 comments:

B. Kyle said...

I think the point you make about verse 3 is pretty key. I know I'm guilty of paying less attention to that one than many others in the book.

Unknown said...

Do you think that young believers want to learn about Revelation more than other believers? It seems that way to me. I guess because it seems so mysterious.

DT Boy said...

Chelsea,

I think they do. I went through Revelation with some Youth about a year ago and they were extremely engaged with me. In fact, one of them even shared what was in Revelation to a lost friend!!!

I also think that many older believers assume that any study of Revelation will be teaching on the symbols and what not. They have become jaded in what they could learn from the words of Revelation.