Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Normal Christian Life

Sunday we finished the letters to the seven churches in Revelation. We looked at Philadelphia and Laodicea. I am not going to go over everything we discussed in class, but I wanted to explore one concept that we touched on Sunday. In light of the message to Laodicea and really in light of the cumulative message to the church in Revelation, the question arises, have we made mediocrity the norm in Christian life?

Based on the letters to the seven churches in Revelation I would have to say yes. By what Christ affirms in the churches, predicts for the churches, and chastises in the churches, His message seems to be one of work hard for the Kingdom, oppose sin and false teaching, be radically different from culture, embrace suffering, and most of all persevere.

Are those qualities indicative of the church today? That may not be a fair question for me to ask so how about this one. Are those qualities indicative of my life as a Christ follower? The picture of a Christ follower in Revelation and really through out the New Testament is one of a person who is radically following Christ so that their actions scream out, "I belong to Jesus?" The "normal" Christian life is meant to leave no doubt in any one's mind who and what we are. If someone has to ask me if I am a Christian, then I am probably not living the "normal" Christian life, but rather some poor, pitiful, blind, and naked version that I have convinced myself is normal.

So what is the answer? I am no ultra wise sage. In fact most of the time I barely know what is going on, but I think Revelation gives the answer in verse 1 of chapter 1, "The Revelation of Jesus Christ." I know it seems simple, but the answer to poor, pitiful, blind, and naked Christian life is a radical Christ centered, Christ saturated life. Jesus said it to the church in Laodicea, "I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see."
In other words, come to Jesus! Come to Him for strengthening of faith, for cleansing from sin, for sight of the truth.



No comments: